Spring is the time to get stuck into the garden and tidy up your trees in preparation for the hot Canberra summer and the bushfire season.
Steve Griffiths, TreeWorks arborist and one of Canberra’s leading tree specialists, recommends periodic inspections of trees by an arborist keeps them looking good and makes sure they don’t pose a risk to property or people.
“It’s not always obvious to the untrained eye when trees are under stress but there are some telltale signs a tree may be structurally unsound and need an arborist:
- Dead limbs
- Cracks, cavities and splits
- Rotten wood along the trunk which is crumbly is a sign of decay.
- Cankers or where you see the bark has sunk are mostly caused by disease or wounds and can weaken the trunk.
- Pests and insect infestation can cause significant damage to trees.
- Leaves falling off at the wrong time of the year is a sign of stress.
- Trees that are unbalanced – that is most of the weight leans to one side.
- Fungal growth around the base of a tree can be a sign of rot and decay.
“Pruning trees correctly when they are young saves cost and problems later on and can prevent tree removals. If it’s not done properly it can cause multiple structural problems and expose the tree to disease.
“In preparation for bushfire season TreeWorks will clean up the dead wood in your garden and prune any trees and bushes away from your house as well as shape your trees or lift the crown so you can sit under them in summer.
“We can leave you a pile of mulch from the branches or we can cart it away. Either way, we do a full clean-up for our customers.
“Tree work is high risk and should always be performed by a certified professional arborist like TreeWorks. Be sure to ask to sight your tree surgeon’s insurance policy and check they are qualified.’
To book an appointment with our tree guru Steve call 1300 135 835
TreeWorks is Canberra’s leading tree services business. We are a fully licensed & insured tree removal company and a member of Arboriculture Australia. Our climbers are fully trained and some of our arborists have over 25 years experience in large scale tree surgery and removals.
TreeWorks …. truly tree-mendous