We’ve been feeling sad about the number of trees lost to bushfires in the region over the summer and those removed to make way for urban development in the ACT so we thought it might be good to stop and think about how planting trees helps to make our community cleaner and greener.
Ten reasons to plant and nurture your trees
- They release oxygen – one large tree can produce enough oxygen for four people
- When you plant a tree you are helping to fight climate change because trees absorb carbon
- Trees reduce the temperature of your house, garden and suburb in summer
- They filter dust and pollutants from the air
- Trees help reduce soil erosion
- They provide food and shelter for birds, bees and animals
- Trees increase your property value
- They bring beauty to a suburb and city
- Trees provide jobs for people in recreational parks, forests etc
- Trees make you happy and help you to de-stress
If you are looking for some inspiration on what tree to plant check out our recent post on autumn colour or perfect trees for Canberra gardens. Choosing the right tree for your garden can save a lot of trouble and expense down the track. Always research the mature height and canopy size and preferred conditions before you select a tree. For more advice read our tips on tree selection.